Exercise habits aren’t going to last long if you hate what you’re doing.
You need to find something you love to do, something that you get excited about getting out and doing. The most important thing is that you are being active.
Hitting the gym or going on long runs are not the only ways to get fit. There are so many different options, and you don’t have to stick to just one, you can switch it up as much as you like. (It is actually important to switch it up, to cross train)
Here’s a list of some ideas:
- Biking- Either on a stationary bike in a gym or out in the great outdoors on whatever kind of bike you can afford.
- Swimming- All you need is a swimsuit, I’d also recommend a swim cap and googles, and access to either a pool or lake.
- Sports- Anything from tennis to soccer to basketball to volleyball to ping pong to frisbee grab some friends and just start moving.
- Hiking/ walking- Go explore!
- Rock climbing- Going to climbing gyms and/or buying climbing equipment can be a bit spendy but this is definitely a very fun way to be active.
- Roller blading/roller skating/ice skating- All these require are a pair or skates and either an ice rink or trails.
- Hula hoop/Jump rope- Bringing back childhood memories and getting fit at the same time!
- Gym classes- Most gyms offer a wide variety of classes (yoga, zumba, HIIT, abs, etc.) these are a great way to meet new people, push yourself and learn proper technique.
- Running- Just give it a try, the runners high is real! (Make sure you have the right type of shoes for you.)
- Weightlifting- A great way to workout and be able to see progress.
In college finding the time to workout can be a real challenge, but if you find something that you love to do it will be easier to set aside that time.
Go out and try new things!
(Picture is of my friend, Paige, and I after we ran our half marathon.)